Medical bills, emotional distress, and lost income, just to name a few concerns, can turn your life inside out. Therefore, if you or your loved one suffers a personal injury, you must pursue compensation and ensure your rights are protected. Seeking compensation is one thing, and receiving the maximum possible amount is quite another. You may be entitled to hundreds of thousands, only to receive half, if not less, of the potential compensation due to a few pitfalls. Consulting personal injury lawyers in Indiana is essential as you prepare to file a claim. It is not all you can do, though, as you strive to maximize the compensation. Here is a quick guide to help supercharge your efforts and receive fair compensation.
Minimize the harm suffered
After being in an accident in Indiana, you need to take the reasonably necessary steps to mitigate the harm suffered. If you don’t, the compensation can be reduced. So, how do you mitigate the damage? First, seek immediate medical attention. This ensures you are attended to by a professional. Besides supporting your claim, immediate medical attention ensures that even those hidden symptoms are uncovered and that you receive comprehensive care, unlike self-medication.
Don’t just go to the emergency room, though. You need to take more steps to ensure the recovery process is as smooth as possible. Follow your doctor’s orders, including taking the medication as prescribed. Also, observe the recommendations, such as taking some time off or attending physical therapy sessions. Avoiding activities such as sports and other demanding aspects that can aggravate the injury and slow the recovery process is also critical.
Minimizing the harm means you can get back to your routine as soon as possible. Besides being morally upright, since you aren’t taking advantage of the situation, the effort offers an edge as you seek compensation. Remember to track the medical expenses and preserve the records. Also, record how the injury impacts your day-to-day life. Such details support your claim, especially considering pain and suffering, mental anguish, and affected companionship, which are not easily quantifiable.
Hire the right personal injury lawyer
Personal injury lawyers in Indiana offer a lot that can maximize the compensation received. They know the dos and don’ts, can easily navigate the legal complexities, and alleviate the burden, allowing you to focus on the recovery as they do all the heavy lifting. Nonetheless, lawyers aren’t all the same. Some may not offer as much. As such, due diligence is needed as you select the lawyers, ensuring you enlist the best. Among the considerations to help you find and hire the best include:
- Recommendations: Relatives, friends, colleagues, and other trustworthy individuals in your social circle can help you find the right personal injury lawyer. If they’ve or know someone who has pursued a claim, they can tell you more about the lawyers they worked with to help you decide if they are the right fit. Recommendations make it easier to narrow the extensive pool, making the process much less overwhelming.
- Consider the resources: Most consumers pick the most prominent law firms, expecting they have all the resources needed to handle a case. While they have the budget, this is not usually the case. Your claim may not be as good for them, meaning you may be assigned to a junior who is only learning the ropes. See who your case will be assigned to. If they are inexperienced and are not burdened by a huge load, that will likely mean they won’t be prioritized.
- Specialization area: The specialization field is a critical check since each area is different. A personal injury caused by a truck won’t be handled the same way as a slip and fall or dog bite. The complexity of medical malpractice may be overwhelming for an experienced personal injury lawyer who focuses mainly on car accidents or libel, slander, and defamation. Ensuring the personal injury lawyer actively represents clients with needs similar to your claim shouldn’t be discounted.
- Charges: Most personal injury lawyers in Indiana work on a contingency basis. This means you only pay after receiving compensation. If they fail to secure compensation, you won’t incur charges. Nonetheless, this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t give this financial consideration more weight. Understand the fee structure to help you pick a service that’ll leave you with more money in your pocket. For instance, a huge law firm may aggressively represent you and get high compensation but take a significant portion to cover their fee since they incur considerable overheads. Find a balance, a service that’ll give you the best representation with transparent and fair charges.
- Reputation: Does the lawyer have disciplinary issues? Are their previous clients happy? Establishing a lawyer’s reputation in the modern digital age is easy. Visit the state bar association website and check out the lawyer. While browsing through the lawyer’s website, besides their bios, also check out reviews and ratings. You can confidently enlist their services if there are no red flags, such as consistent complaints.
Do your part
Personal injury lawyers in Indiana will do all the heavy lifting, but this doesn’t mean you should switch off after enlisting their services. Cooperating with the lawyer facilitates productive progress. Provide the lawyer with as many details as possible to help them develop a solid case. Also, follow their recommendations, such as directing all communication from the defendant to them to avoid divulging information that could hurt your case. When needed, such as for court proceedings, he also shows up. A united front helps avoid mistakes that could cost you thousands in compensation, such as negotiating with the insurance company without the lawyer’s knowledge, during which you could accept a lowball offer.
Economic, non-economic, and punitive damages are common considerations impacting the total compensation awarded. As you strive to ensure you receive the maximum award, following the above pointers will set you on the right path. Don’t let the challenging moments following an accident take a toll on your current and future life. Take the right measures and ensure you receive fair compensation.